Summer Blooms and Pet Poison Prevention Tips
June is a great time to get out more with your pet — and while that means more fun in the sun, it can also spell trouble for your ever-curious pet, who just can’t help nosing around in your neighbors’ gardens. Raleigh Pawz loves dogs and wants you and Fido to have a great time on your walks. But look out — danger lurks just under your dog’s nose — in the most common and seemingly harmless plants in gardens around your neighborhood.
And something that may be surprising — the prettiest posies can often spell the biggest trouble of all. The kind of trouble that finds you rushing your beloved pet to the ER — or worse. Poisonous plants often emit a sweet odor which can attract your pet to it in the first place. They’re bad news.
Don’t let a beautiful walk turn into a tragedy. Keep a tight leash on Fido, keeping extra vigilant for these:
These gorgeous tropical flowers seem to invite Fido for a closer look (or a nibble). But the plant contains the toxin lycorine, which causes moderate to severe gastrointestinal issues, breathing problems, a decrease in blood pressure, and tremors.
The autumn crocus is a popular border plant in many gardens. But in its pretty petals lurks a dangerous poison, colchicine. If Fido is unfortunate enough to ingest this plant, it could result in damage to his organs, seizures, respiratory failure, and death.
It’s hard to believe this beautiful plant’s leaves are capable of sending your pet into a coma or killing him, if ingested. But this plant’s toxicity is off the charts. It contains grayanotoxin, a potent neurotoxin which interferes with muscle function, including the heart, weakening it to the point of death. This is also true if Fido consumes the plant’s nectar, which is called “mad honey,” for this substance is loaded with the toxin.
These easy-to-nibble-on plants contain isoquinoline alkaloids, and even a little can mean a severe case of poisoning and toxic shock for Fido.
This ornamental plant can sometimes be found in garden borders. But it contains a potent poison, ricin. This poison is so lethal that it has been used in assassinations. Yikes!
Chrysanthemums are almost a household word as it seems every household’s garden has sported these plants at one time or another. But this plant contains several nasty toxins, such as pyrethrins. Not a good snack for Fido.
These beautiful and seemingly innocent plants contain saponins, which can cause nausea and digestive issues in small doses — but seizures and death in larger doses.
Fido will be drawn to this flower, which looks so interesting swaying in the breeze. But daffodils contain not just one, but two nasty toxins — lycorine and calcium oxalate, the latter of which can lead to kidney failure. The bulbs and flowers have concentrated amounts of lycorine, which cause irritation in the digestion tract and heart arrythmias. Even inhaling pollen from this flower can cause irritation in the nose, mouth, and throat.
These colorful, cheerful flowers sure look good enough to eat — and humans can eat certain varieties without harm. But doing so could be fatal for Fido — particularly any of the true lilies, such as the tiger lily. They contain colchicine — and consuming even a couple lily tubers can cause organ failure.
LILY OF THE VALLEY
Those of you who watched “Breaking Bad” will never forget that shocking moment when it was revealed that protagonist Walter White, a nerdy science teacher, had poisoned young Brock with Lily of the Valley. Well, these whites aren’t as innocent as they look, either. Keep Fido far, far away. These pretty posies are literally loaded with dozens of toxins!
MUSHROOMS AND TOADSTOOLS
While some mushrooms aren’t toxic to dogs, it’s too hard to tell which fungi are yummy treats and which will send your pet to the 24-hour emergency clinic. Just leave the mystery mushrooms alone.
This popular plant is beautiful in gardens, but it’s dangerous for Fido. This plant is loaded with cycasin, and ingesting this plant’s leaves or seeds could lead to severe damage of the liver and stomach lining, or even death. This is another one of the worst kinds of poisonous plants.
Tiptoe through the tulips…on second thought, don’t. Steer far clear of these beautiful blossoms as possible. Especially the bulbs, which contain concentrated amounts of the toxins Tulipalin A and B.
Poisonous Plants & What To Do If Exposed
How do you know if your dog has ingested poisonous plants? Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, panting, seizures, difficulty breathing, lack of coordination, and pale gums. If your dog is experiencing any of these symptoms, rush him or her immediately to an animal emergency clinic. Every second counts in an emergency, and it may mean the difference between life or death.
This is by no means a comprehensive list as there are many, many toxic plants out there. A good rule of thumb is to not let Fido munch on ANY plant — it’s much safer that way. Besides, Fido turning your neighbor’s prized garden into his personal salad bar — well, it’s just plain bad manners.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.